Sunday, May 23, 2010

How I found the tango....

Many people laugh when they hear that I tango. A lot. I'm not sure if it's because it's a really odd hobby or if it just seems random, but they are usually surprised.
I've decided that we need to talk about how I found the tango.
I blame Mark. When I moved to Helena in 2007, I went to the Farmer's Market where the tango group was doing demos. And the first person I talked to was Mark. He made it sound like so much fun. So I decided to start.
I don't know why it stuck to me so closely. I don't know if it's because it can be happy and sad and arrogant and melancholy all at the same time. I don't know if it's because you can dance with the same lead to the same song and come out doing a completely different dance.
It seems to bring out such different aspects of people's personalities. My tangos tend to be aggressive. They tend to have a lot of energy and a lot of, well, fight to them. It takes me a lot more concentration to dance slowly than to dance arrogantly.
Now, I have an insane amount of tango music and shoes. I travel with shoes in my car at all times. I take dance shoes on trips just in case I have the chance. I buy heels based on whether I can slide in them. I find music, even non-tango music that have a great "tango" beat. I look for clothing that I can wear to tango.

I don't regret starting the tango because I've gotten a lot more out of it than just dancing. I found myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment